AUCD Leadership Academy
The Association of University Centers on Disability (AUCD) and the Center for Leadership in Disability (CLD) are proud to present the
3rd Annual AUCD LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
at Georgia State University: June 23-28, 2019
WHAT IS THE AUCD LEADERSHIP ACADEMY?
The AUCD Leadership Academy is a week-long program designed to enhance the skills of current and emerging leaders from the disability network to build coalitions to improve systems of supports and services. The Leadership Academy seeks participants from UCEDDs, LENDs, and their disability partners to come together to immerse themselves for a week of study, shared experiences, self-evaluation, and skill development. Participants will engage with their cohort, Academy staff, local coaches, and national allies in the year following the experience. The Academy will focus on the exploration of shared values and commitments to civil and human rights, assessments of personal and leadership strengths, skills in building partnerships to achieve collective impact, and establishing personal and professional leadership goals.
WHERE WILL THE AUCD LEADERSHIP ACADEMY BE LOCATED?
The AUCD Leadership Academy will be held on the GSU campus at the Knowles Conference Center within the College of Law in downtown Atlanta.
WHEN WILL THE AUCD LEADERSHIP ACADEMY TAKE PLACE?
Sunday, June 23 through Friday, June 28, 2019
HOW MUCH DOES THE ACADEMY COST?
The cost for the week-long academy will be $1000. This does not include the cost of travel or hotel.
Applicant Accommodations and Support
To ensure equal opportunity and access to the AUCD Leadership Academy, we will provide reasonable auxiliary aids, services, language translation, and alternative formats to applicants and trainees. Please send an email to email@example.com or call (404) 413-9574 or fax (404) 413-1012. For more information, please visit www.cld-gsu.org.
Final application deadline: March 1, 2019
Details for: AUCD Leadership Academy Pre-Learning Webinars
Thursday, May 16th, 2019, 4-5pm EST – Disability Partners & Overview of the Program
AUCD Leadership Academy Pre-Learning Webinar 2
Thursday, May 30th, 2019, 4-5pm EST – VIA Survey of Character Strengths
AUCD Leadership Academy Pre-Learning Webinar 3
Thursday, June 13th, 2019, 4-5pm EST – Courage & Renewal and Circles of Trust
WHAT TO EXPECT: CONTENT AREAS
Courage and Renewal (Courage to Lead)
History of Disability and Civil Rights
Building Partnerships and Collective Impact
Self-Awareness and Leadership
Participants are expected to participate in a variety of learning opportunities:
- Short readings designed to orient trainees to core concepts prior to the in-person training
- Webinars occurring before and after the in-person training
- Strengths assessment activities
- Visit to the National Center for Civil and Human Rights
- Leadership Coaching and Leadership Self Reflecting ALLY relationships
- Individual and group-based reflection
- Group discussions and structured forums
- Goal setting
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE AUCD LEADERSHP ACADEMY?
- Develop participants’ self-awareness of leadership strengths.
- Provide a forum for discerning professional and organization values, vision, and core commitments.
- Support participants’ resilience and integrity to sustain a commitment to solving complex social issues.
- Create a community of leaders and advocates that recognizes and honors differences and diversity.
WHERE WILL THE AUCD LEADERSHIP ACADMY BE LOCATED?
WHAT IS LEADERSHIP COACHING?
- Participate in an orientation designed to introduce coaches to the AUCD Leadership Academy and its coaching component
- Support trainee in growing leadership skills and achieving leadership goals identified via participation in the AUCD Leadership Academy (see above for more information about goals)
- Model leadership skills, deliver strengths-based feedback, provide psychosocial support, aid networking, and facilitate problem-solving
- Meet formally at least 4 times; also provide at least one opportunity for trainee to observe the coach’s leadership skills and observe the trainee once
WHAT IS A LEADERSHIP SELF-REFLECTION ALLY?
- Monthly telephone call
- Reflecting upon leadership strengths and weaknesses and growing leadership skills